[MFNS members] Nutrition Staff Passing Patient Food Trays

Deb Indorato appnaf at verizon.net
Sun Nov 1 06:46:27 PST 2009

Char's comment is right on target. As we change our style of tray passing along with our patient programs we become customer focused. Catering Associates (those who pass the trays) have won awards for their awesome service which only takes a few seconds of their time to ask a patient "Is there anything I can assist you with?"

It's all in the training - pick those who are the right fit for the job and then train them on what their role is for assisting the patients and when to say "I am sorry I am not trained to assist you with that (sitting up, moving from the bed to the chair, etc) but I will get someone who can". Comments from our patients (when managers from Food Service do their rounds) always reveal how much more helpful the Food Service staff is than the nursing staff.

It's about much more than passing trays. We CAN do it!

Debra Indorato, RD LDN
Associate Director, Patient Services
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital